Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Blue M&M's

This post will prove what a nerd I am. Clifton is taking a statistics class. While reading for his class yesterday, he mentioned his book said that 24% of plain M&Ms are blue. I could not believe it-that is almost one out of every four! Later I found out his book really said 27%. So I asked him to get some on his way home so we could test it out, but he got peanut M&Ms. We did it anyway and the numbers were way off. We also found out peanut M&Ms right before nap time are not a good idea! :) So on the way to cub scouts, we bought plain M&Ms. After the girls went to bed, while watching the Biggest Loser online :), I recorded every color in the bag.
I don't know how to make a chart or format anything on this blog, so here the percentages:

M&Ms-Clifton's text book (total 100 M&Ms)
red 13%
orange 25%
yellow 8%
green 19%
blue 27%
brown 8%

M&Ms Plain (total 411)
red 13%
orange 25%
yellow 15%
green 11%
blue 25%
brown 11%

M&Ms Peanut (total 165)
red 11.5%
orange 20%
yellow 18.8%
green 18.2%
blue 17.6%
brown 13.9%

So conclusions?
If you want a more diverse bag of M&Ms, buy peanut.
If you want more M&Ms/bag, buy plain.
My percentages were a lot closer to the statistics book than I thought.
Why do they make more blue and orange than the other colors? Weird.

Our life is a bit stressful right now so it was fun to have a little break and focus on something completely pointless. :)

5 comments:

Melanie said...

yum!!

mad white woman said...

I can't believe how closely your stats matched the book. Weird!

Cinderella, the A-Train and Our Little Caboose said...

sometimes you need pointless things to do!

PS. congrats on the baby boy, boys are so fun! (but I only have a boy, so I can't speak for girls!)

David and Jana said...

I love that! It makes me want to participate in the next study...sign me up! Did you know there are cocnut M&M's? And Strawberried Peanut Butter ones, too??? At Walmart. I got big bags of them. And they are all good. m&m's.duh. :)
Sorry about your stress. We're having some, too! Love you!

Amanda said...

best value = peanut butter m&ms

at least that's what my husband says. they were half the price of plain m&ms at target. but maybe that's because they are bigger and thus have fewer per bag? that will have to be your next experiment.