Monday, November 10, 2008

I broke it

okay I didn't break it. I unplugged our TV, but to Casey it is broken. It was winning the battle and had to be put in its place! Lately I have noticed that Casey was starting to talk a just a little meaner and demanding more stuff without saying please and, in my more dramatic moments, I thought I was "losing her". She might just be a 2 year old, testing her limits, or just a being girl, but I thought I would try to stop it early and try to get reconnected with her. It really has ruled our lives. I have to say that we don't watch television at all. About a year ago (or more?) Clifton and I decided that we were going to unplug our TV channels and it has been such a blessing! So our problem right now is with movies. It is the first thing Casey asks for in the morning. This morning she wanted to watch "Seeping Boogy okie" (which translates into "Sleeping Beauty movie"-I smile every time she says it). It is what she wants to look forward to when she wakes up from her nap and she wants to watch while she eats! We average one movie a day and we rotate between Cinderelly (Disney), New Cinderella (Rogers & Hammerstein's), Toy okie (Toy Story2), Ballerina (a really old "real" Disney movie I watched growing up and am borrowing it indefinitely from my mother :), of course Seeping Boogy and very recently "Pink Princess okie" (Barbie Princess and the Pauper-we don't watch the movie-we watch the songs on the bonus features). So our movie watching is limited which is something I like because in every movie there are mean people that say mean things. I think Ballerina is the only exception-they really are very nice to each other. So I don't know how long our TV will stay "broken" and I might go crazy without some sort of break from Casey's endless questions, talking and singing however cute they may be. So if you have any ideas on what to do instead of watching movies I would be glad to hear them!!

2 comments:

Anna Min said...

Computer games. She's young, but at least they are educational. But watch out. I'd limit these too...kids get grumpy after about 30 minutes...but there are cool printouts for coloring on some websites. We stick with PBSkids.org.
Pathetic, I know. Avoid one screen only to go to another.
Beans in a box. A lot of beans in a box...kids love it!
Just give her the kid friendly scissors and a piece of paper...she'll help clean up but you'll do the bulk of it...they love that too.
Those are the few that come to mind:)
Oh. Give her a damp rag and have her go around and clean all the door knobs.
And kids love to dust.
Turn on the bathroom faucet on low flow or just fill up the sink and let her play in the water.
Okay...I'm done.

EmmySue said...

We are having the same issues. We watch PBS to much. Sad thing is that Timothy will actually sit and vege through an episode of Super Why... which is nice when I have to get something done. I love the "broken tv" idea.
Alexis could play with play dough all day, and she is obsessed with making cards too. We have those sticky foam shapes and she makes cards all day.
We can always get together more often for play dates... Good luck.