Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Random mommy thoughts

After the missionaries came for dinner, Clifton took them to their next stop. I looked out the window after they left and Casey asked, "Are you looking for Clifton(Cliffon)?" I was a little taken back. I asked her to say it again to make sure. Then she said, "you can call me Christi" I just laughed, it was so cute. It made me think. I think it would be so fun to be Casey's Aunt and have her call me by my first name and be able to spoil her rotten. She is such a character and so fun to talk to-it made me want to have a more casual relationship with her and not have to worry about teaching and training her to be a good person with good manners and habits. It made me a little sad. I'm sure we were friends in the pre-existence (how else would she know exactly how to push my buttons? :) So to all of her Aunts out there-I think you are so lucky and I hope you enjoy her little voice calling you by your first name.

I have also been thinking about the duties of a mother and I decided to put them in three categories. The first being the ones that I completely signed up for. These include Casey making Katelyn laugh hysterically, Katelyn's cute obsession with shoes, the unexpected hugs and kisses, the adorable things they say, the sunshine they bring to our home, the matching clothes, having someone think I am the best dancer, singer, cook, reader, and fixer (second to Daddy of course!) in the world. It is all the cute, precious, and priceless moments that make me love being a mom.
The second category are things I knew about (maybe not all the way), but didn't look forward to. These include my three year old waking up 3 times in the night when my baby sleeps all the way through it, changing 3 messy diapers in one hour, taking Casey into every public restroom we come in sight of, feeling like we spend all our money on diapers and wet wipes, having Katelyn imitate Casey and Casey imitate Katelyn, and having to have an answer as to why we do anything and everything.
The third category are the more rare things that were not in the job description and things I did not (knowingly) sign up for. Like yesterday when I had to fish out clippies from a toilet full of "stinkies". Thank you Casey. Disgusting.

Casey and Katelyn's favorite part of getting ready for bed.


For dessert I made these. I mixed peanut butter with powdered sugar and spread it over the top of oreos and covered them with chocolate.

7 comments:

Anna Min said...

...sweet thoughts, Christianna. Makes me think of my own nieces and nephews and how hard they work to say my name...or just won't try and call me "Hey" or "Alyvia's Mom".
Thank you for sharing:)
Any oreos left over?
We were always good at downing insane amounts of sugar.

Heidi Giles said...

What a great post, Christi. :) I love your kids--they are such brilliant and adorable little girls. I also love your three categories!!

Melanie said...

Oh Christi. I love the innocense of just the 2 girls brushing their teeth. I need to be good and photograph the teeth brushing, instead of worrying about the 6 possible puddles of toothpaste, or the paraphernalia left out on the counter & floor, or the inevidible flood from letting them to themselves. And as soon as I can replace my ivy plates (don't match this kitchen) I can give you 8 more matches of your dishes. They are still so pretty. I love them.

Camille said...

I think it would be funny to see how long our lists were in each of the three categories and compare them with our husbands. I'll be the "Things I Didn't Know Were Part of the Job" would be pretty funny.
P.S. Now I'm hungry for something chocolate!

mad white woman said...

My mom has been watching Clara and so she hears Anna a lot... and will call me Anna if I don't respond to her right away when she calls me mom. It's pretty funny.

Bridget said...

I can't decide which part of this post I like more - the great mom insights or the PEANUT BUTTER CHOCOLATE OREOS. Hmm...

David and Jana said...

OK you are naughty. How do you think of desserts like that??? What chocolate did you use on the outside?? I must know...
Your girls are adorable! I f I lived closer, I would definitely spoil them rotten and love it the whole time. I appreciate your insights into mothering and I laughed outloud at the toilet part. Ah yes, the unexpected lovelies of motherhood.