Sunday, September 19, 2010

Tyler's Spells

Each of our kids have their own unique "problems". Casey is allergic to cheap metal and if something touches her skin like a necklace or snap, she gets a rash there-she is okay with the real deal. Katelyn is sensitive to lotions/shampoos and breaks out in a rash if I use something too harsh (like Johnson & Johnson lotion), but she's also okay with the expensive stuff! :)

Last month we found out that Tyler gets "breath holding spells". I know there are a lot of definitions of what that is, but let me tell what happens to this little guy. First he cries. He cries so hard his face turns red-that's my first sign. You know when your kid gets hurt and they are silent as they work up to their huge scream? Well he does that except he doesn't scream he just stops breathing (I guess technically he is breathing he just doesn't look like it...so the doctor says). Then his eyes roll back and he faints, but with his eyes open which is really scary looking. This is when he starts breathing noticeably. Then he "wakes up" and is completely silent and limp for a long time. It is almost like he forgot why he was crying. It is so scary to watch and I have to hold him so he doesn't get hurt when he faints. I guess most kids you notice it when they are toddlers (during fits) and they are supposed to grow out of it around the age of six. It is going to make his toddler years exciting.

Good thing he is such a cute little boy. :) I can't believe he is eight months old. He started crawling and loves his new freedom. He is already trying to stand up to things-slow down cowboy!!

According to Katelyn, this is Tyler's "Blue's Clues" shirt. :)

5 comments:

Bridget said...

That happened to my nephew, too! I wish her blog were public so I could show you the post on it. He is almost 2 and I think he has grown out of it but it was really scary for her for a while, even though it's supposedly "harmless." Good luck! You sound pretty calm about it. :)

Christina LeSueur said...

Oh! That is awful. How scary. Even though you are told everything is okay, how do you feel it when it happens? You are awesome. Tyler is getting so big!

Melanie said...

gosh. wish there was something to do to fix it! love ya.

EmmySue said...

My sister used to do that. We would blow in her face and it would startle her into taking a breath. What a freaky thing to deal with. Hope he grows out of it soon.

David and Jana said...

Well at least its something he outgrows, right? ?? I sure love you, and SO enjoy reading your posts!