Friday, November 4, 2011

Mothering with a child in school

Mothering with a child in school:
-It is thankless. I think most of mothering is. You get joy in seeing your kids progress and grow and do cute things, but no one really sees the work put in. This point was driven home on Halloween where I went to great lengths to get a snack (that Casey requested) to her class on time and also the pumpkin erasers she wanted to give her class. Her teacher did not hand out the snack or the erasers so Casey didn't even know that I brought it. I think it is the first time that I have sacrificed a lot to make her know that I care about her and want her to be happy. I've always done little things, but this particular morning it would have been soo much easier (and I had valid reasons) to just say I couldn't do it.
-One mistake can ruin your day. Today was library day and Casey has brought her library book ever other day, but today I did not check the calendar so she did not get a new library book. She cried at home (and all through going to the store) for three hours straight about the library book. This is our second day of not going to the park because of her melting down as soon as we walk in the door. I remembered everything else, but it doesn't matter because one thing is enough to set her off for hours.
-Birthday parties, play dates and the bus stop. Why are they mostly on Sundays?? It is hard for her to understand that going to parties is not keeping the sabbath day holy when we would celebrate family birthdays in Tucson on Sunday with family all the time. She also doesn't do a lot of playdates because I don't feel comfortable having her go to friend's I don't know. Some of the other parents don't think that way. I didn't realize I would have to talk to other parents so much, but we really see eachother at least once a day (after school it is usually their nanny :).
-Language. She came home taking the Lord's name in vain and it was hard to explain to her that we don't say those disrespectful words when everyone is doing it. She is also obsessed with what she can say and everytime I say "oh my gosh" she says "so I can say 'oh my gosh' cuz you did." She also came home singing "trick or treat smell my feet give me something good to eat..." I forgot about that one! :)

-I get served pieces of humble pie often. Yesterday Casey came home with her usual artwork. One of the papers had the word "miserable". Casey explained that she was supposed to draw what she looked like when she was miserable and then to draw what was making her miserable. She had drawn a sad face and then a picture of me yelling at her. That did not make me feel very good. Then she showed a picture of me making her feel better after she scraped her elbow at the park the day before. So I guess it all evens out. It made me want to be more patient.
-I am one of those moms. I always thought I would never forget to comb Casey's hair, or help her with her homework, send library books or to wipe her breakfast off her face or a bunch of other things. How hard can it be? Well I've done all those things and each time I can hear things I used to think. Even in my first grade, there was a girl whose hair was always messy and I never wanted to look like that and later did not want any of my children to look neglected. I am eating all my words and then some as I struggle just to get out the door at 7:30 in the morning.
-I'm so proud of Casey. She has learned so much (I am so glad I am not homeschooling her)and it is so nice to see her progress. Her drawings of people have gone from looking like bugs to actually looking human. She has become obsessed with patterns and rainbows with colors in the right order and is doing really well. She can read simple words and just loves school and her teacher.

4 comments:

David and Jana said...

I've had "I'm THAT mom" days, too, doing things I thought for SURE I would never forget. Yeah, Trickrtreating, Davey was at our neighbor's door and he started singing the smell my feet song, but his ended with underwear...it was humiliating.
There is a book called the Invisible Woman, When Only God Sees. It is all about being an invisible mom and all the work you do that goes unnoticed. Remember that I love you and that God sees everything you do, and it is very important.

EmmySue said...

Just know that you are not alone in this. I read through this and check marked every single one as a recent experience of my own. And the parties... Alexis was invited to a "Justin Bieber" party... and I wanted to cry. She doesn't even know who he is... but this is the world we live in. When school is over I have a house next door waiting for your family. We miss you all... and wish you were closer. We seem to live "parallel" lives. :)

mad white woman said...

Most of the time it doesn't bother me about mothering being thankless, but sometimes it makes me feel tired. :)

Way to go for getting out the door by 7:30. We struggle to get out the door 3 days a week by 8:30. :)

Melanie said...

I love this post, Christi. And I'm sorry I can't live closer to share these awesome moments with you. Every time I see the Cheetos on the faces IN PICTURES after an event, I realize what that little person looked like to everyone else all day. Just keep wiping them down & keeping a comb in your purse. There's only so much you can do, and then you have to turn around without judgement to the next mom. =) Love ya!