Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Pittsburgh visit

When Clifton's parents told us they were coming for a week. I made a really long list of things I wanted them to see and experience. I knew we couldn't do everything, but I wanted them to experience Pittsburgh and understand why we love it so much and love it too. So I pared down my list (I still think my father-in-law would have LOVED Phipps Conservatory). It turns out they did love Pittsburgh, but it was from walking around looking all the huge old mansions in our neighborhood and just seeing the greenery. It just has so much character.
Any visit would not be complete without going on "The Incline"





 There are so many bridges!
 Ship pulling coal.

 I went to the Allegheny County Cemetery with Clifton a few months ago. The family mosques are amazing and huge and it is an amazing cemetery. So we took Clifton's parents and it turns out we(me and Clifton) had not scratched the surface. There were whole sections we had not even seen. This section was for veterans.
 There were so many flags-it was sobering to think of so many people dying for our country.
 This section is from the civil war.
 There were even some confederate flags.
 Another must was Klavon's icecream shop in the strip district. The Tiemanns showed us this place. It is an old pharmacy/soda fountain place that opened in 1929. The same family still owns it so it has antique medicine bottles and it is really cool. AND their birch beer floats are amazing.





 The last day they went to Fort Pitt Museum. I stayed with the kids-they were done with sight seeing.


 We live by a duck pond so we walked there in the evenings and just watched the ducks and relaxed.



I was so excited to show them where we live. It is beautiful. Of course there is so much more to see and we didn't take pictures of everything-just come visit and see it in real life!

No comments: